Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Great Speech: President Goodluck Ebele Call for fast Tracking Of UN reforms




President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan declared Wednesday in New York that pressing challenges to global peace and security have made it imperative that urgent action be taken on the reformation of United Nations Security Council. 

Delivering Nigeria's annual statement to the United Nations General Assembly, President Jonathan also called for an urgent review of United Nations peacekeeping operations across the world. 
Continue..

Why Ukraine Will Never Retake Crimea







Written especially for Russia Insider


The Ukrainian Defense Minister Valerii Geletei is hardly a credible figure.

Not only did he recently declare that Russia had threatened the Ukraine with nuclear strikes, he even told a Ukrainian journalist that Russia had already executed two tactical nuclear strikes on the city of Lugansk (apparently to explain why the Ukrainian forces had to retreat from there). The Junta later denied the story and blamed it on the journalist who first published it. 

Continue..

Russia's Lavrov Calls US Interference in Ukrainian Internal Affairs 'Inappropriate'





Events in Ukraine are an internal affair of that country, and it is inappropriate to dictate the conflicting sides how to implement ceasefire agreements, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.


Kiev authorities and independence supporters in eastern Ukraine signed on September 5 a ceasefire agreement (the Minsk Protocol) in the Belorussian capital, Minsk, and on September 19 supplemented the document with its detailed implementation plan (the Minsk Memorandum).
"The Ukrainians met in Minsk several times. They signed two documents there, while representatives from Russia and the OSCE have helped them to establish dialogue," Lavrov told reporters on the sidelines of a UN General Assembly session.

UN Official Claims 10,000 Child Combatants are Fighting in South Sudan





The number of child soldiers, fighting in South Sudan has risen to almost 10,000, UNICEF chief for child protection in the country Fatuma Ibrahim told Anadolu Agency Wednesday.
“Now the figures have reached 10,000… around 70 percent or so are [with] the white army [Nuer White Army], where thousands of these youths are being recruited," Ibrahim said, referring to Riek Machar's rebel forces.
Continue..

Shocking: Obama places Russia between the Ebola virus and international terrorism





Full speech here.
Video of speech here.

This is the except in which Russia and the Ukraine are mentioned:

(...)  Russia’s actions in Ukraine challenge this post-war order. Here are the facts. After the people of Ukraine mobilized popular protests and calls for reform, their corrupt President fled. Against the will of the government in Kiev, Crimea was annexed. Russia poured arms into Eastern Ukraine, fueling violent separatists and a conflict that has killed thousands. When a civilian airliner was shot down from areas that these proxies controlled, they refused to allow access to the crash for days. When Ukraine started to reassert control over its territory, Russia gave up the pretense of merely supporting the separatists, and moved troops across the border. 

China Offers Benin Ebola Prevention Materials: Reports




The government of China has offered Ebola disease prevention materials worth $840,000 to Benin, an unnamed source in Cotonou told Xinhua on Wednesday.  The corresponding agreement was signed by Benin's Foreign Minister Arifari Bako Nassirou and China's ambassador to the country Tao Weiguang on Monday.  Weiguang also announced that the Chinese Embassy would give $20,000 to the Benin Red Cross to speed up preparations for the Ebola disease.

ISIS-linked terrorist group beheads Frenchman abducted in Algeria



  55 year old Herve Gourdel, has been beheaded by the ISIS-linked Islamist group Jund al-Khilifa in Algeria in revenge for France launching airstrikes on Iraq. The French man was captured in Algeria while hiking in the Djurdjura National Park on Sunday September 21st just 1 day after he arrived the country for a walking holiday. The terrorists threatened to kill the Frenchman unless France stops bombing militants in Iraq. They killed him several hours later and released the video showing his beheading. France started bombing ISIS in Iraq last Friday...

War on terror: Nigerian Army confirms Boko Haram leader Shekau is dead



The Defence Headquarters has released a statement claiming to have killed a man posing as the leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau (or his impersonator) in an attack (both land and air) in Konduga Borno state between 12nd to 17th September. See the statement after the jump... 

T.B. Joshua’s alleged bribe: The truth - written by journalist Simon Ateba





Simon Ateba is a reporter with PM News. In his piece, Ateba said as long as Nigerian journalists are not paid well, they will continue to accept 'bribe'. Read his thought provoking piece below...
People have been asking me, “Simon , were you at that press conference on 14 September where Prophet T.B. Joshua allegedly gave N50,000 to journalists to write a positive story on the building collapse that killed many people?”, my answer is always the same.

I was not at that event, I do not know if he gave a bribe, I do not know if it was N50,000, and cannot comment on it. But I do not feel better or more righteous in any way than those who might have collected anything, if money was given.‎
Continue..

Why I want to be President of Nigeria -Atiku




The former Vice President said the 2015 election was about Nigeria’s youth and the nation’s future.
He stressed that the nation under the current administration has failed to provide the required environment for the youth to reach their full potentials.  
Atiku said 
“It is inspiring that amidst difficulties and growing anxiety over the future of our country, our people have refused to succumb to despair and hopelessness.
“This never-say-die attitude gives me immense hope and it is one of the reasons why I can never give up on Nigeria.”

2015: We’ll stop candidates with criminal records, says IG




The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, has stated that the Police will stop candidates with criminal records from contesting in the 2015 general elections.

Abba who hinted that the Force would collaborate with the Department of State Security to carry out the task, added that he had made adequate arrangements for security for all activities leading to the elections, including party primaries, conventions, and campaigns by candidates.

52 Boko haram members on the run arrested in Biu, Borno state




52 Boko Haram members have reportedly been arrested in separate operations in Biu Borno state by security operatives. According to military sources, the men were arrested between yesterday Sept. 23rd and today September 24th.  A military source said some of the sect men had boarded a truck in a bid to leave the state but were arrested after the truck driver notified soldiers at a checkpoint that passengers in his vehicle had threatened to kill him if he did not take them out of the state. 
"We arrested over 50 members of the Islamic sect following tips we got from the driver as well as locals. I can tell you they are cooperating and giving us useful information" the security source said

Int’l Organizations Should Join Probe Into East Ukraine Mass Killings: Moscow





Russia wants international organizations to join an investigation into the deaths of civilians buried in a mass grave near the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, the Russian Foreign Ministry's human rights ombudsman Konstantin Dolgov said Wednesday.
"We have been trying to attract attention of inter-governmental and [non-governmental] human rights organizations to the reports about mass graves near Donetsk. We believe that they should make a practical contribution and ensure that this investigation is unbiased and effective," Dolgov said.

"The international community should insist on the inevitable punishment of those guilty of these crimes," he said on his Twitter account.

#FreeOurSoldiers: 'We won't plead for the 12 soldiers sentenced to death' - Senate



The Chairman, Senate Committee on Defence, Senator Thompson Sekibo has said that members of the Senate will not be intervening on the death verdict handed to 12 soldiers for mutiny by a military court on September 16th.

Senator Sekibo who spoke with journalists after a closed-door meeting between the senate committee on Defence and the Service Chiefs at the National Assembly in Abuja yesterday September 23rd, said the verdict of the military court is meant to instill discipline into the military. 

Ambassador: Israeli, Palestianian Officials to Hold Next Round of Talks Late October





Fayed Mustafa, Palestinian Ambassador to Russia, has confirmed to our source that the next round of peace talks between the Palestinian Autonomy and Israel will be held late October.
"Yes, we confirm that a round of indirect talks between Palestine and Israel ended yesterday in Cairo. There was an agreement to resume talks in the second half of October," the ambassador said Wednesday.
The ambassador also stressed the importance of Palestinian president speaking at the UN General assembly on September 26.

Graphic Video: Destroyed ukrainian military column near Novozar'evka



APC lawmakers walk out of session in protest over $9.3m smuggled to SA





There was major drama in the House of Reps today September 23rd after APC lawmakers staged a walk out during a session in the House after a motion to debate the $9.3m smuggled into South Africa by two Nigerians on behalf of the Federal Govt on September 5th was denied by PDP lawmakers.

According to reports, the APC lawmakers had moved a motion through the the House Deputy Minority Leader, Ismaila Kawu to debate the matter on the floor of the House but the motion was stopped after a voice note called by the deputy speaker, Mr Emeka Ihedioha went in favor of the majority PDP members.

S’Africa shouldn’t return seized $9.3m yet – APC





The All Progressives Congress has said South African government should not return the $9.3m it seized from two Nigerians and an Israeli who were arrested by security agencies after the private jet on which they were travelling touched down in the country.

Following their arrest, the Federal Government said the money was meant for the purchase of arms for the prosecution of the ongoing war against terror but the South African government has threatened that the Federal Government may have to forfeit the money if proper explanations are not offered as to how such a huge amount of money was moved into the country in cash without the strict compliance with the relevant laws.
Continue..

ST

Please Like Us On facebook