Saturday, July 6, 2013

"Nobody can stop me from contesting in 2014" — Opeyemi Bamidele



The Chairman House of Representatives Committee on Legislative Budget and Research, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, has said his determination to contest the 2014 governorship election in Ekiti State was unstoppable.
Bamidele spoke in Ado Ekiti on Saturday while addressing his supporters who are members of the Action Congress of Nigeria. Surprisingly, some members of the Peoples Democratic Party were seen at the event which was held along Basiri Road. The event was held under the platform of ‘Ekiti Bibire Coalition.’

Leaders of the ACN including Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and the National Chairman of the party, Chief Bisi Akande, had on Wednesday in Ado Ekiti, endorsed Governor Kayode Fayemi for second term. Tinubu had asked Bamidele to drop his ambition saying the right time would come for him to contest but the lawmaker insisted that nothing could stop him from contesting the poll. 
Continue

He said, “It started as a rumour, they were saying it in market places, inside taxi cabs and everywhere. Everybody was saying it but I waited to hear from God. As a child of God, I can’t be afraid. I listened to the voice of God through all of you. I will contest (governorship election) and I will not regret my decision. I know the implication of what I have said. “I won’t come out in my name but I will come out in the name of the Father, in the name of the Son and the Holy Ghost. I won’t encourage violence but nobody should harass my people.

“If two siblings are contesting, it will be different from the way two outsiders would contest. I have made known my intention and I won’t renege on it. I won’t drop the name of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and let nobody drop his name. Those doing that want to cause a rift between Asiwaju and I but that won’t be possible.
“I respect people and I celebrate relationships. The Asiwaju that I know won’t do anything to undermine democracy. What was reported in newspapers was not what happened at the meeting. You can ask some of the leaders present at the meeting. “Nobody can stop me from contesting the governorship election. I cannot fight with Asiwaju Tinubu but it is not compulsory that we should agree on everything at all times.”
The lawmaker, who is representing Ekiti Federal Constituency 1 at the House of Representatives, said he had enormous respect for Tinubu whom he served for many years. According to him, Tinubu would be happy to see somebody like him seeking to make the state a model in the country.
He said he was invited for the reconciliatory meeting held at the Ekiti State Government House on Wednesday but he said he got the text message on Thursday night. “I was invited for the meeting but I got the text message late. But my argument still remains that Tinubu did not endorse Fayemi at the meeting,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook