Wednesday, March 13, 2013

NDLEA Nabs Grandmother With Cocaine In Hair Weaving At Abuja Airport



The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on Saturday nabbed a 53-year-old grandmother, Sikirat Giwa at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja while trying to smuggle out cocaine under her hair weave.
The 1kg of white powdery substance which later tested positive to cocaine was discovered during a routine check as the suspect attempted to board an Ethiopian airline Flight ET 910 to Pakistan enroute Addis Ababa and Dubai.
According to the NDLEA Abuja Airport commander, Mr. Hamisu Lawan, “There was no prior information on Sikirat as the drug was detected when a female officer carried out a body frisk on her during outward screening of passengers.”

Lawan also disclosed that an accomplice who was assigned to take Giwa to the airport and ensure that she successfully boarded her flight was also arrested.
“We also arrested one 59-year-old suspected accomplice, Joseph Umunna, who brought Sikirat to the airport” he said.
During interrogation, Giwa claimed she was forced into drug trafficking as a result of her status as a single mother.
She said, “I used to buy goods from Dubai and Pakistan but since my shop at Lagos Island was demolished, it has been difficult meeting up with my house rent and my children’s school fees.
“My husband abandoned me and the children which made life even more difficult. So when I was approached to take the drug, I had no option. They promised to pay me 4,000 dollars.”
However, Chairman of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, said, “It is sad for a 53-year-old mother to smuggle drugs. This shows that she is morally bankrupt and would not be able to instil discipline in her children.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook