Friday, October 11, 2013

Lagos Plane Crash: Man talks about How He Cheated Death




Gideon Ade Akingboye, a very close friend of  the late Tunji Okusanya, the director of MIC Funerals. He spoke to FUNSHO AROGUNDADE and BAYO ADETU on the last moments of the deceased and how he escaped being killed in the plane crash that took the lives of  his friend and others
You were supposed to travel together to Akure during the 3 October air crash that killed Tunji Okusanya?
Yes.

Continue after the break.
Can you recollect what hppened on the day of the incident?
The point is that we had started preparations since the day Dr. Olusegun Agagu died. Before the
incident, he had briefed me on the plans for the grand burial and some days earlier, I had organised the hotel that the staff of MIC would stay in Okitipupa, because the burial will be in Iju Odo, not far from Okitipupa. I booked the hotel and paid for it. Before that day, some of the staff have even left as advanced party. They were there two days before the burial proper. Meanwhile, a day before we were to travel, Tunji and I have been discussing how we are going to see my aged mother who stays in Igbotako which is very close to Iju Odo. So we had planned that we would go to visit my mother, and Agagu’s burial will be a great opportunity for us to go and see her. So on Wednesday 2 October, he told me that we shall travel by air so that it will be faster and less stressful. Initially, I agreed because he said he wouldn’t want me to stress myself so much because of the bad road between J4 and J3 along that Benin-Ore highway. He said he doesn’t want me to go through that stress  so we should fly together.
On the eve of the day we were to travel, I told him that I had bought a lot of things for my mother and would not want to take them through the flight. He however still insisted that a driver will take the goods by road while I fly with him to Akure where Agagu’s remains was to be laid-in-state. He said we would from there travel together to Iju Odo and after the burial we would go and see my mom. But later on that night, I called to tell him that I didn’t feel like travelling to Akure since I don’t have anything to do in Akure in the first place. I asked him to just let me travel straight to Iju Odo and Okitipupa so that I can take care of the welfare of the boys there.
Moreover, I would seize the opportunity of the free time to be with my mother, play with her before they all come for the burial proper in Iju Odo which is not far away. On that very sad day, he actually didn’t believe I won’t fly with him thinking I would change my mind. At a point on that Thursday morning, he also called to tell me that there was a space for me in the chartered aircraft, and that I should come. But by that time, I had already left by road with those things that I bought for my mother. It was when I was around Redemption Camp along Lagos-Ibadan expressway, that he called to inform me that they were about to board the plane forthe journey to Akure, I told him that I was already on the way to Igbotako and he said no problem.
When I got to Igbotako and was with my mother, I was already waiting for him and the rest of his staff to come and meet me at Iju Odo. On that day, I couldn’t reach him as the network on my line was very bad. As I later discovered, a lot of people were also calling me at the same time as I was also trying to reach Tunji. I also called the son, Olatunji, but his own line too and that of the rest of the staff were switched off. So, I thought probably it was a network service problem. Many people who thought we were together in the aircraft were also trying to reach me but ironically, my line also said switched off, and many became worried. But later that night, a call came through and I was told of the crash and that Tunji was among the dead. So, I didn’t have any other choice than to rush back to Lagos that night.
On getting to Lagos, I went straight to LASUTH and at the mortuary, they didn’t want me to see him, to the extent that I nearly created a scene before they allowed me.
It was like a dream to me as I wanted to be sure of what happened, because this is a friend that spoke to me in the morning and I was later told he is dead.
What kind of relationship did you have with the late Tunji Okusanya?
Tunji was my childdhood friend. He was one of the best human beings you could ever encounter. He was so nice, everything around him is unique. We grew up together and we attended the same church. We are in the same societies,` both in the church and in the larger society. In fact, we travelled abroad together.
Are you also in the undertaking business?
I am not into undetaking business, but I am very close to him and his business. At a point, some people actually thought probably I was one of the directors because I am always with him in his office. Mostly, if there is problem anywhere or he wanted to do anything, I am one of those he always consulted. When I said we were close, I really mean we were close. Tunji is the godfather to all my children, from the second born to the last. He is just too good. He was a great and influential guy. Hardly would you see any well to do Nigerian who doesn’t know him. Many people believe that he was rich and very comfortable, yes, that is true.
Did he at any point in time have a premonition of dying soon?
There was this very close friend of ours, Adefusika Adeojo, a lawyer, who died about three Fridays ago. Prior to his death, Tunji had even organised a communion to mark his 60th birthday. On the second day that he died, we were talking and Tunji asked me that do I realise that a friend of his that we used to call Mackay (he was the person that built Sura Shopping Complex on Lagos Island), has also passed on, not quite long ago. Three of them are so close. He later expressed concern that he was the only one left among the three of them that are childhood friends.
How do you mean sir?
Well, what happened was that about three years ago, I went through series of surgeries both locally and in India. At a point, the doctors were like giving up on my case and discharged me, but eventually I survived the ailment. During that period, Tunji did everything to ensure that I was comfortable.
After the crash, there were some reports that MIC boss actually gave an instruction on how he wants to be buried. As a close friend of his, are you aware of such request too?
No, I don’t believe Tunji make such request because he never believed he is going to die in  the next 10 or 20 years to come. Tunji is full of life. Besides, Mama (Tunji’s mom) is still there. She is 91. When his father died, it was more like a carnival in Ijebu, but Mama is still vey much alive and she only said she wants to be buried in Lagos. So, Tunji never thought of his death not to talk of how he’s going to be buried.
Many have said it was a mistake that he travelled with his son, Olatunji, on that plane. Do you agree with them?
It wasn’t a mistake afterall, they had always been travelling together. Tunji and his son had flown together severally and even travelled together on speed boats and whatever. They had been working together and that wasn’t their first time. They had a job to do and had to be together.
What can you say of the boy?
I will refer you to check ThisDay newspaper of 2 October, there was an interview granted by Olatunji Jnr. where he talked about his dream to turn undertaking business into something grander than how his dad did it. Olatunji is a boy with bright idea. As you know, being a boy who was abroad and has seen a lot, he said he wanted to turn cemeteries into tourist centres in Nigeria. But it is so unfortunate that the boy died in that crash too.
How true is it that he actually lobbied to get this particular job that eventually took him away?
It is normal for any business-minded person to see that he gets high profile jobs. But of course, he had done something for the Agagus in the past, I think when the in-law died. Agagu even had to complain then that Tunji didn’t come personally to conduct the funerals. So, when Agagu died, Tunji and all other undertakers bidded, but with all his charisma and many of the important people being his friends, things worked out easily for him.
What kind of family man was he while alive?
Tunji is a complete family man. Though his job took the lion’s share of his time, he never joked with his family. This was a man who leaves home around 5a.m. in the morning and doesn’t get back until some time 12a.m, yet he shows love to his family so passionately. In fact, he loved everybody since he saw everyone as his family.
What do you think people would miss most about him?
One thing about Tunji was that he gives ceaselessly. Twice every year, he organises carnivals in his Odunlami Street base. Tunji will gather all the physically challenged people together, feed and play with them. The last time was on his birthday.
On your own part, what are the fond memories of his that you will not want to forget?
I don’t think I will ever want to forget anything about him. Tunji was a great man. He was a deep compassionate person who hates to see people suffer.
Many people have expressed fear over the future of MIC Funerals. As an insider, what would you say about this?


Well, Tunji has a lot of friends, old, young, poor, fairly okay and rich. Though, his demise is still fresh but few of us have decided after a meeting that we should never allow that name and business to die. We have spoken and appealed to the staff to take things easy as we want to do our possible best to see that MIC lives.


Though his first daughter, Bolanle, who lives abroad is around now. While we would be in the background, we want to try all our best to support the famiy and ensure that his business doesn’t die.
But there is this general assumption that he actually personalised his business?
Yes, as a matter of fact, Tunji is MIC and MIC is Tunji. The business is built around him due not to a fault of his. When some people get to his office and don’t meet him, they will go back. They always insist that it is Tunji they want to deal with. Everybody wants to see him at their event. But we are still going to try because he built the whole thing around himself.
Can you let us into his burial plans?


There is nothing concrete yet. So far, the issue of DNA still needs to be sorted out. But one of his boys, who was easily recognised, has been buried. And if you were there at the boy’s funeral, you will be moved. They didn’t allow a hearse to carry his remains from Odunlami Street to Ikoyi Cemetery. Everywhere in Odunlami was littered with posters. So, Tunji’s own is something we cannot say anything yet now until the DNA test result is out.

PMN

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook