On the same day when Dr. Bonneau was named the winner of the Science of Security (SoS) Competition he wrote a blog post about his "conflicted feelings" around the US surveillance program.
Continue..

I don’t think a free society is compatible with an organisation like the NSA in its current form - Dr. Joseph Bonneau
"I’d be remiss not to mention my conflicted feelings about winning the award given what we know about the NSA’s widespread collection of private communications and what remains unknown about oversight over the agency’s operations. Like many in the community of cryptographers and security engineers, I’m sad that we haven’t better informed the public about the inherent dangers and questionable utility of mass surveillance. And like many American citizens I’m ashamed we’ve let our politicians sneak the country down this path," stated Dr. Bonneau in a blog post.
"In accepting the award I don’t condone the NSA’s surveillance. Simply put, I don’t think a free society is compatible with an organisation like the NSA in its current form. Yet I’m glad I got the rare opportunity to visit with the NSA and I’m grateful for my hosts’ genuine hospitality," he added.
Dr. Bonneau completed his doctorate last year at the University of Cambridge and works for Google in New York City. His paper is called "The Science of Guessing: Analyzing an Anonymized Corpus of 70 Million Passwords." In his paper he analyzed over 70 million user passwords in an effort to study why Internet users are so horrible at making strong passwords. "Even seemingly distant language communities choose the same weak passwords," he concludes.
 Voice of Russia, the Huffington Post