Saturday, March 2, 2013

I Never Imagined I Could Become A Governor… I Had Preferred To Be A Soldier – Sokoto State Governor



Governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko, has urged the people of the state to embrace peace and the fear of God, noting that their usual good conduct would continue to earn the state more respect. The governor also prayed for peace and prosperity of Sokoto State and the country at large.
Wamakko’s message was made available to Nigerian Tribune, and the governor, who clocks 60 today, said the peace of the north that had been ruptured by acts of terrorism could be overcome with concerted efforts, as he urged Nigerians never to think the problems was meat only for the north to solve. He said Nigeria as a country would need to operate as one body in which case, whatever happened to a party must be the concerned of all the others. He said the ability of Nigeria to take a cue from that would fast-track the process of the country becoming a true nation.

However, speaking on the occasion of his birthday, he said he would continue to dedicate his time and energy to serving the interest of Sokoto state and the people even as he clocks 60, stressing that his main desire was to see his state emerge as one of the greatest in Nigeria. He expressed gratitude to God for making him to rise to the cadre of leadership in Sokoto state, stressing that it was by providence that he became governor of the state, having been rising in the ranks within the Civil Service in the state since 42 years ago when he started serving the state
Also, in a chat with Nigerian Tribune, the governor said his initial ambition was to be a soldier with dream to rise to the rank of a Brigadier such that he nicknamed himself a Brigadier while he must put the rank before his name during his school days: “I never imagined I could become the governor of Sokoto State. Right from my elementary days in school, I had preferred to be a soldier and I was so obsessed with the thought that each time I wrote my name, I would put the rank “Brigadier”, and everybody around me knew this.”
Culled from the Tribune


No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook