Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sheyi Shay is not in a Relationship With Vector



During an interview with Punch Ademola Olonilua , singer Sheyi Shay tells it all about her style and fashion;

Would you rather wear weaves or your natural hair?

Personally, I would opt for a weave. I would rather rock a weave because it is more versatile than my natural hair. There are so many hair styles I can do with a weave that I cannot do with my natural hair. I think a person can do more styles with a weave.
Continue

Do you have a favourite hairstyle?

I prefer the chin length or short cut. I feel a lot comfortable in these hairstyles. It also depends on what I am doing at the moment. Some shoots tend to dictate what I would look like for a period of time but basically, I like chin length or short cut.

How long does it usually take you to make your hair?

Well, most times it usually depends on the style. On an average I would say it takes about two hours to make my hair.

Why is it that recently, more women are cutting their hair or going for short hairdo?

I think lately more women are cutting their hair or going shorter because they are becoming more confident with their femininity and it is also a brave fashion statement.

Can you for any reason shave your hair and be comfortable with it?

I could never shave my head. I would not feel comfortable and I am not that confident.

Can we ever catch you without make-up?

I prefer looking natural. It feels so good to be natural. Also, it’s nice to let your skin breathe but because of the nature of my business, I have to put on make-up sometimes.

Would you rather buy a Nigerian designer’s cloth or a foreign designer’s?

In my view, I think Nigerian designers are doing a great job. There are a lot of creative Nigerian designers. These days, I find myself buying and wearing more of Nigerian designers. I think it is amazing to support our own. I always wear Nigerian designers. I prefer our creativity and uniqueness.

Is there really a difference between fashion and style?

Fashion is what everyone follows. Style is more personal. Fashion trends come and go but a person’s style sticks except when he or she wants to try something new, something different.

What influences your fashion trend?

I really love classic pieces. I most especially love styles from the 20’s, 40’s, 80’s. Also, the French vogue is one of my favourites.

What is that fashion item you can’t leave home without?

I must always have a pair of heels in my car. Heels change your posture and you can wear them with everything. They come in very handy.

Apparently, shoes must be your weakness…

Without thinking twice I would say I love shoes. That is my fashion weakness. I own so many perfumes and countless pairs of shoes and some more I would never wear again but can’t let go of.

How much did your most expensive heels cost?

My most expensive heels cost a lot.

How is it competing with men in the industry?

There are more men in the industry than the women and the men get to experiment more. We women have to be very careful the way we portray ourselves because of our culture.  Being in a predominantly male industry is hard. As a female, I need to work harder everything including shows. But I never really get intimidated. I respect everyone’s workmanship and I learn also.

Would you say the industry is fair to female artistes?

The industry should give female artistes more shows and more money for their workmanship. That said, I actually think it is getting better.

Don’t you think your celebrity status scare men away from you?

It’s a double edge sword. I get people just sending me messages that they love me. I appreciate all the love from the fans; their support keep me going.

Are you in a relationship with the rap artiste Vector?

No. We are not in a relationship.

So where did the rumours come from?

I’m not in a relationship with Vector. The rumour may have come from our performance together at this year’s Felabration. We ended our set with a friendly hug and people thought there was something more.

Do you find him at least attractive especially his fashion side?

I think he has a nice dress sense. I’m not attracted to him.

What fashion item do you admire on a man?

I admire men who wear good shoes and a well tailored suit.

What is your take on cleavage exposure and ladies wearing skimpy dresses?

My advice is that you should just make sure you wear it and it does not wear you. Think about that for a minute. People should admire the dress on you and not the other way round or people admiring only the dress.

How do you maintain your voice?

I make a conscious effort not to shout. Also, I drink a lot of water and I sing everyday as a form of voice exercise.

Who shopped for you when you were growing up?

My mother did all the shopping for me when I was growing. She rarely got my taste though.

Why did you leave the UK for Nigeria to start music?

The challenge attracted me. The fertility in the industry was and is more promising than anywhere else in the world right now.

People are of the opinion that you are copying the likes of Beyonce and Tiwa Savage, what do you have to say to that?

They are both very different so who exactly am I copying? The whole world is influenced by Beyonce. So that’s unfair. Beyonce is an inspiration to us all.

What are you currently working on?

I am working on my Ragga Ragga video, my album and further build the Seyi Shay brand.

When performing during shows, how do you come up with the costumes you use?

My stylist and I usually talk about style and image before every event.

What are the gains and pains of being famous?

The gains and pains include people appreciating my work in different ways, travelling round the world and doing what I love. On the other side, it is a very lonely journey and many sacrifices are made to get to the desired destination.

Would you say you stand-out with your fashion sense compared to other ladies in the industry?

I hope I stand out with my fashion sense. What would you say?

When stepping out for an event, what are the things you consider?

I try to avoid being over dressed for any event.  I always take a last look in the mirror and then, take off an accessory.

How did this whole music thing start?

Music, singing, performing for me started back in the UK, when I was part of my school gospel choir.

How were you able to adapt when you came back to Nigeria?

Settling back in the country was really a piece of cake. I have lived here before and my mother brought me to Lagos every year since I was two years old. I am home and there is no place like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook