Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said “two or three Americans” and “one Brit” were among the militants who perpetrated the attack.
Continue after the break.

US officials said Monday that they were pressing to determine whether any of the assailants were American.
She said in an interview Monday with PBS Newshour, the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived “in Minnesota and one other place” in United States. The British jihadist was a woman who has “done this many times before,” Mohamed said.
“But at this point we have no definitive evidence of the nationalities or identities of the perpetrators,” said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki.
Al-Shabab is a Somali militia. But Gen. Julius Karangi, chief of the Kenya Defense Forces, told reporters that the jihadists inside the mall were “clearly a multinational collection from all over the world” — though he did not offer details. “We are fighting global terrorism here,” Karangi said.
Kenyan security forces, assisted by American, European and Israeli advisers, intensified their operations to end the crisis.
Kenyan troops 'in control' of shopping mall in Nairobi
Kenyan troops are "in control" of Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall, the Kenyan interior ministry announced overnight Monday.
"We're in control of Westgate," the ministry said in a post on Twitter, some 60 hours after Islamist gunmen stormed the complex and massacred at least 62 people.
"Our forces are combing the mall floor by floor looking for anyone left behind. We believe all hostages have been released," the ministry said.
All hostages believed to be evacuated from Nairobi shopping mall
All hostages are believed to have been evacuated from a Nairobi shopping mall and Kenyan special forces are not encountering any resistance, a government spokesman told AFP late Monday.
He said the three-day-long siege by Islamist gunmen, which has left at least 62 dead and up to 200 wounded, was nearing the end.
"We think that everyone, the hostages, have been evacuated but we don't want to take any chances," said government spokesman Manoah Esipisu. "The special forces are doing their job and yes, I think we are near the end."
Obama offers Kenya law enforcement support after mall attack
US President Barack Obama spoke to his Kenyan counterpart Monday and promised him "whatever law enforcement support is necessary" in the wake of an attack on Nairobi shoppers.
Obama's father was Kenyan, but the US leader has largely kept his distance from President Uhuru Kenyatta, who has been named a suspect in an International Criminal Court probe of Kenyan electoral violence.
Kenya is now, however, reeling from a spectacular attack by Somali militants, who stormed an upscale Nairobi mall on Saturday, gunning down dozens of staff and shoppers and taking hostages.
"We're providing all the cooperation that we can as we deal with this situation that has captivated the world," Obama said, arriving in New York for the UN General Assembly.
"I want to express personally my condolences not only to president Kenyatta who lost some family members in the attack, but to the Kenyan people, we stand with them," he said.
"We will provide them with whatever law enforcement support is necessary and we are confident that Kenya, which has been a pillar of stability in eastern Africa, will rebuild."
Kenyatta won election in March, despite having formally been named a suspect in the ICC investigation into 2007-2008 political violence that left more than 1,000 dead. His trial is due to start in November.
Kenya mall attack: more than 10 militants arrested - police
Kenyan police on Monday said they had arrested more than 10 suspects for questioning over an ongoing attack on a Nairobi shopping mall where 68 people were massacred.
"We've arrested more than 10 individuals for questioning in relation to the Westgate attack," police said in a message on their Twitter account.
Kenyan security forces remained locked in a fierce battle with Somali Islamist gunmen inside the upmarket mall on Monday, where thick black smoke billowed out following huge explosions.
Kenya's defence ministry said that "three terrorists have been killed so far", while "a few others have suffered injuries."
Operations continued but troops had "sealed all possible escape routes", the ministry said in a statement, adding that the chances of any terrorists escaping were "very slim."
A Kenyan security source and a Western intelligence official said Israeli forces were also involved in the operation, along with British and US agents.
Somalia's Al Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents have claimed the attack, which began midday on Saturday, when the gunmen marched into the complex, firing grenades and automatic weapons and sending panicked shoppers fleeing.
Meanwhile the interior ministry has said the fire in the mall has been contained, although plumes of smoke continued to dominate Nairobi's skyline as night fell.
Around 200 people have been saved by Kenyan security forces during a special operation to rescue hostages at a Nairobi shopping centre, the Kenyan Defense added.
According to latest data, 69 people were killed. Of those who were saved, 65 are staying in hospitals at the moment, a statement by the Kenyan Defense Forces says.
11 Kenyan officers were injured during the operation.
Most hostages are released now but a number of people, who are still held by militants, is still unknown.
Kenya mall attack to 'end soon', two terrorists dead, others wounded - minister
Two militants have been killed in the ongoing military raid on a Nairobi mall and nearly all hostages have been freed, Kenya's Cabinet Secretary for Interior Ole Lenku said.
"We think the operation will come to an end soon. We are fully in control of the situation. There is no reason for alarm," he said, adding: "We are in control of all the floors. We have fully cordoned off the building."
The minister also said all the militants were men, although some had dressed as women, possibly explaining witness accounts that some of those who launched the assault on Saturday were women.
Between 10 and 15 gunmen took part in the assault.
The minister said a fire inside the mall was the work of the militants, but that it would soon be extinguished. Gunmen holed up inside a Nairobi shopping mall had caused a plume of smoke by setting mattresses alight in a supermarket as a decoy.
"We don't want to give you a definitive position on when we think the process will come to an end, but we are doing anything reasonably possible, cautiously though, to bring this process to an end," Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku told a news conference.
Gunmen involved in an attack on a Nairobi shopping mall came from several countries, a senior Kenyan security official said on Monday, without revealing what those nations were.
"We have an idea who they are, their nationality and even the number," said Julius Karangi, Kenya's chief of general staff, adding that militants were "clearly a multinational collection from all over the world."
"We have also have an idea that this is not a local event. We are fighting global terrorism here and we have sufficient intel (intelligence) to suggest that," he said.
Black smoke at Nairobi mall, Kenyan authorities say they are in control
Following a series of loud explosions and gunfire coming from within the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenyan authorities say they are in control of the situation and moving in on the attackers.
"We urge everyone to stay calm. Our forces are in control," the National Disaster Operations Centre said on its Twitter feed. It also said: "Avoid the Westgate area completely. Operations still ongoing."
There were media reports that the Kenyan special forces carrying out an assault against the militants were behind the latest explosions which are causing black smoke clouds to rise from the building.
Black smoke was seen rising and several blasts were heard on Monday in the area of a Nairobi shopping mall where Islamist militants are holed up with hostages, a Reuters witness said.
Television images showed troops in camouflage running to new positions, while an armoured personal carrier was also seen shifting position. Journalists and their cameras have been moved and no longer have a clear sight of the mall, but can see its perimeter.
69 dead, 63 missing in Nairobi attack - Red Cross
At least 69 people are confirmed to have been killed and 63 more recorded missing in an ongoing Nairobi shopping mall siege, Kenya Red Cross said Monday.
The 63 recorded missing are thought to include both hostages still being held by Islamist militants fighting Kenyan troops inside the complex, as well as those possibly killed in the three-day-long siege.
Others may be hiding in the sprawling centre.
As the stand-off entered its third day, sustained bursts of rapid gunfire erupted at dawn and lasted 15 minutes, and so+ldiers posted around the mall ducked for cover.
Somali Shebab militants on Monday threatened to kill hostages they are holding as Kenyan troops move to end their siege.
Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said in a security update Monday that "a few" hostages remain in the mall, but would not give precise figures.
The Shebab have not said how many people were being held by the dozen-or-so attackers, who marched into the four-storey building at midday Saturday, spraying shoppers with machine gunfire and tossing grenades.
"We authorise the mujahedeen inside the building to take actions against the prisoners as much as they are pressed," Shebab spokesman Ali Mohamud Rage said in a statement posted on an Islamist website.
Voice of Russia,, AFP, Reuters, dpa, TASS, Interfax
Read more: