Saturday, April 20, 2013

Nigeria: Meet Nigerian Who is First African Parliamentarian in Poland





John Abraham is a Member of Parliament in Poland where he is the chairman of the parliamentary team on Africa, chairman, sub-committee on development of internet technology, chairman, Polish-British bi-parliamentary group, and chair, Polish-Nigeria bi-parliamentary group. The Umuahia, Abia State born Polish MP in this interview reveals to Daily Trust how he climbed the ladder into his various posts and what it's like to be a Polish lawmaker. Excerpts;

How was it possible for you to get integrated into the Polish system to rise to this level as a Nigerian?
I went to Poland in 1993 as a missionary and by serving the people-I think that's the key word, it was service that opened the door for me to enter into the place of leadership. My wife and I (my wife is Polish) have for many years been helping the poor. We run an open home for the needy, give out scholarships to students; these are things that open doors. Many Africans who come to Europe come to take and very few want to give but we want to encourage them, to teach them that instead of coming to take it's more blessed to give.
How do feel being in this position in Europe?
I think it's a privilege, a great privilege and a great responsibility because being the first black or first African MP in the Polish parliament in Polish history, whatever happens, in 100 or 200 years time, people will always remember that there was this African who was here so it's a great responsibility but I also think it's a great privilege which means that everything I do is monitored, everything I do people are looking at me. So I'm doing all I can to fulfil my responsibility in a way that is honourable and in a way that is commendable.
How easy is to become an MP in Poland?
You simply run for an office. In my case I started at the lowest level. I started at the district council which is the lowest level of government. I was the deputy chairman of the district council and then the city council. I was for two terms a councillor, and then I ran for the parliament. This is my second term in the parliament. In my case it's simply by serving—serving, serving, serving.
How strong is the parliament in the Polish political system?
The parliament is the most important aspect; we have the parliamentary system of government in Poland, which means that the prime minister is also a parliamentarian. He was elected an MP and parliament votes to choose a prime minister. Then we also have the president who is a ceremonial head.
What prospects are there for an ordinary Nigerian to stay in Poland? Nigerians like going abroad a lot you know.
Well, I would say that Poland is not a very easy place to stay as an ordinary person. This is because you don't have all those economic assistance you have in nations like UK where the social system is well built up. Another problem is that you have to learn the language to function in Poland and Polish language is very difficult. But for someone who has a goal-you come to study or you've come to do business, you have a goal. Sometimes there'll be challenges but if you keep on to it you will attain success.
Are there many Nigerians here in Poland, and are you interacting closely with them?
There are not many Africans in Poland, we have only about 5,000 Africans in Poland which has a population of about 40 million out of which about 2000 are Nigerians. So how would you advise a young Nigerian aspiring to stay in Poland?
Like I said before, the advice I would give is, know why you want to come to Poland. Have a goal and keep on to it. If you are diligent and keep on to it you'll achieve your goal. I've been in Poland for 20 years and I've been to more than 35 countries in four continents and there is no place I feel at home like in Poland. That's the way it is because you really need to get into the society, get into it to be able to feel what Poland is.
Feeling so much at home in Poland, are you aspiring higher than being an MP?
For me it's not an issue of aspiration. It's an issue of service. And I consider what I'm doing or my position as a means to an end, not an end in itself. So whether I'm a councillor or a member of parliament, my goal is to bring positive change. Yes, it might happen, but I think its God's grace and decision where I'll be next two years and so on. But my main goal is to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook